Port of Naantali – an excellent place for seafaring
The location of the present Port of Naantali, south of the city-centre, on Naantalinsalmi straits is a naturally suitable place for a port, and a deep fairway leads there. Naantali’s commercial industrial port emerged during the Second World War and in the years after it. During the Continuation War a place was being sought for the State’s fuel depot. Naantali’s location was found favourable, and in summer 1944 the State of Finland expropriated 50 hectares of land in Tupavuori. The fuel tanks were placed next to the then active Tupavuori seaside resort.